by Eileen Weber
There is a little piece of me that dreads Christmas. Inevitably, and I say this with only a touch of guilt, I get a gift that is just…well, less than thoughtful. And somehow, my husband’s nose flute comes to mind.
What is thoughtful is the “green” gift. Below, thanks to TheDailyGreen.com, you will find a a partial list of last-minute gifts that don’t tweak your environmental guilt button. These are just some of the gift items you can pick up before you croon “O Tannenbaum” with your Uncle Murray after he’s had the last of the hot crab dip.
1. Giving Handmade Gifts
You can make or bake. It doesn’t matter as long as it’s from the heart. After all, isn’t it the thought that counts in gift-giving?
2. Green Knickers. Yup. Underpants. Who doesn’t need a clean pair of underpants on Christmas?
3. Recycled wine glasses. These little beauties are available at Target.
So when Aunt Martha has had a few too many and knocks one over, you can tell yourself at least they were cheap.
4. Renewable Bamboo Cutting Boards It’s a cutting board. It’s bamboo. It’s a renewable material. What’s not to like?!
5. Sprig’s Discover Rig For the little “green” tyke in your life, a truck that is made of recycled wood and reclaimed plastic. Available at Toys R Us.
6. Recycled Watering Cans You know, you just can’t prepare enough for the next season. While we’re barely into winter, let’s start thinking of spring!
7. “Upcycled” Gifts Using old materials and making them new, discarded cassette tapes are made into a wallet. Who knew there’d be a great use for the Best of ABBA?
8. Staple-free Stapler A bit like having the ice-free ice tray, isn’t it? However, this little gadget punches the paper in and folds it over so there’s no need for a metal staple to keep your papers together. Sweet office equipment.
9.Foldable Bike from Dahon Speed P8 It’s a bike. It folds up. It’s a green way to travel. What more can you say?
10. Dedicate a tree at TreePeople.com What could be greener than giving a tree? Give a big tree. Give a small tree. Heck, dedicate a hedge if you like. Either way, it’s better for the planet.
Whatever your choice this holiday season, it’s never too late to get a thoughtful gift and it’s never too late to think about the environment while you’re doing it.
Nose flute photo courtesy The Nash Company.